War. It’s the main theme in all of Warhammer 40.000 and regular old fantasy Warhammer. But fighting a war requires manpower, weapons, resources. And Big Fucking Spaceships to destroy other Big Fucking Spaceships with. Oh, and to launch planetkilling, ecosystem-destroying, atmosphere-stripping, obliterating missiles as well. But spaceships don’t come cheap. New ones take decades if not centuries to build, current ones are thousands of years old and painstakenly repaired, modified, rebuilt, upgraded and what not simply because they are so damn expensive. In fact, sometimes it can be cheaper to tow a burned out hulk, reclaimed from a previous warzone, to a refit station and restore it that to build a complete new one. And lets not forget, with more and more knowledge forgotten everyday, the older ships simply ARE better.
With that in mind, I decided on a little project of my own. My Battlefleet Koronus project can use as many ships as possible so why not ‘refit’ a damaged model? (Never mind the obvious real world parallel in that new models are horrendously hard to come by since GW decided to stop selling their specialist range).
I purchased this damaged wreck from Ebay a few weeks ago. My initial idea was to use it as is, possible as an objective marker for a game of Battlefleet Gothic or in a game of Rogue Trader as a ship that my players can help reclaim for the Navy.
Sadly however, the connection between the front piece and the rear of the ship was too brittle to properly survive transport: it arrived in two distinct pieces. My first thought was to put it back together as a wreck but after some quick consideration I opted to rebuild it entirely.
The macro cannons were no longer useable and neither was the prow. Both had been drilled and scored to simulate battle damage (good job though). I tried to salvage the lance batteries but only succeeded in salvaging one, the other one was glued too tightly to the ship. It even sustained some damage while I tried, with various degrees of succes, to get it let go.
The turrets were destroyed (can’t expect to make an omelet without utterly destroying some plastic guns) but I might be able to use the rest for a future project. Something spacestationy with loads of guns, hangar bays, antenna’s and what not.
The previous owner did kind of destroy the middle section of the ship. Glueing both ends together proved a mix of ugly and impossible, they are just too damaged. I had thought of using some plasticard but the kind my local store sells is just too flimsy to be of use. Instead, I’ve turned to the macro cannon batteries of my Battle Barge. These macro cannons are basicly one big metal version of the smaller plastic ones. Since I had only the two for my battle barge, I decided to ‘model’ some green stuff replacements (same goes for the missing left wing of the ship).
These weapon batteries are large enough to hold both sides of the ship together. They add solidity to the former wreck and make it look like a proper ship again.
The left wing was broken off as well. I’ve modelled an approximation to serve as a replacement. Sadly however, the weapons on both wings were broken off. I used some left over nova cannons as a replacement.
The prow was also too heavily damaged. With a fair number of replacement prows standing by it was only a matter of quickly cutting and replacing it (something that I had intended to do anyway).
The new prow features forward facing guns. I haven’t 100% decided yet if I’m going to keep this one or swap it with either a plain or torpedo version. At the moment I’m switching between building it into either an Overlord Class Battlecruiser, which would include topmounted turrets and torpedotubes or either a Dominator class cruiser with a nova cannon slung underside. Also, I might still switch the prow itself for a Zeus pattern (Voss pattern) one like I mentioned in a previous post.
The final bit that I added so far is the bridge. Since I had no spare imperial bridge (it wasn’t included in the ebay purchase either) I made due with a chaos, which complements it well I think.
That’s all the progress so far! One of these days my order of Zeus prows (and loads of other good stuff, more on that later) will be arriving in the mail so I’ll put of my final decision on the class until then.